While the Lytle family purchased the farm four generations ago, the historic house on the property dates much farther back.
Property records show that a man named Joseph Alison was granted a warrant and survey — the first steps in land ownership —for the land in 1746.
But the land was ultimately patented by John Waugh in 1774, finishing the process of establishing land ownership. According to his burial information at New London Presbyterian Church, Waugh was an Irish immigrant who served in the Revolutionary War.
Based on these records that show a residence on the property, and the house’s location near two creeks on either side, it is likely that the log part of the house was built either during Alison or Waugh’s life on the farm. Waugh also sold the property to his son Robert McKee Waugh in 1807.
That means the oldest part of the house might date between the 1740s and 1770s.
After the Waugh family, the Lemmon family also owned this property for many years in the mid-1800s. Census records show that members of the Lemmon family were plasterers.
The Lytle family continues to research more about the property and the people who lived there to better understand the history of the farmhouse.
This website will be updated with more information as these discoveries are made.